Sunday, February 9, 2014

Hip Hip Hooray for the 100th Day!


This week we celebrated 100 days of school! Here are a few of the 100th day activities that did during our fun filled celebration.

Before the big day arrived, I sent home a letter asking families to decorate a t-shirt for students' to wear using 100 objects. I was very impressed with how creative many of the shirts were! Here is one of my little cuties modeling her 100th day shirt in front of our classroom door decor!

The students were all very excited to see this banner with "streamers" hanging from the door. Many asked if we could keep it up for the rest of the year! (Sorry guys, not happening!) This shirt, where they used 100 objects to create a cat, has to be one of my favorites!

Some of my co-workers and I even got in on the t-shirt making fun! Here is us in our Pintrest inspired tally mark shirts:


Before we started on our workstations, we read this cute little poem I found on Pinterest:
Before we counted the letters, I asked students to predict how many letters were in the rhyme. To my surprise, nobody guessed 100! After we counted, they were all amazed that there were 100 letters - just like we had been in school 100 days! What are the odds? ;) 

For our 100 days workstations, we made necklaces using 100 beads:
I usually do the fruit loop necklaces but these beads are inexpensive (and I don't have to watch them eating their necklace all day) so I decided to go with the beads. The kids LOVED making these and many came back to school Friday wearing their 100th day necklace again! Definitely doing this again next year! 

We made trail mix using 100 yummy items:

We built structures using 100 blocks (which I completely forgot to take a picture of) and tried to make a tower using 100 cups. Some students made a long wall, others tried to make a tall tower. I was surprised at how much the kids LOVED this cup stacking activity! 

Then there were these crazy hats, which were my personal favorite thing the kiddos made that day! They took 10 strips of paper and punched 10 holes in each using our "fancy hole punches" to make 100 holes. I love this activity because all that hole punching helps with fine motor, not to mention the kids look pretty darn cute! :)
We also attempted making these adorable "100 gum ball" machines that I have seen all over Pinterest. Not everyone actually made 100 dots but I figure, they counted to 100 about 20 times that day so if they didn't make this one little crafty all the way to 100, I am going to have to let it slide :) 

1 comment: