Monday, March 23, 2015

Made it Monday

Today may be back to business but last week was our Spring Break! For me, that meant a lot of relaxing, time with friends and family, and getting a few projects done that I have been putting off! Sooo I figured I would share a few things I have been working on :)

My first little project is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. I have always wanted one of those cute "teacher stools" for my classroom! 

Now I have to tell you, my Dad is the BEST at finding things. He loves going to thrift stores, flea markets, you name it! Every now and then I will ask him to keep an eye out for a good deal on something and he always finds it. Always! So when I asked him to find an inexpensive stool (sturdy enough to be in a classroom), to please get it for me. And like always, he delivered! 


TADA! haha I am really happy with the way it came out!

It was actually very easy to complete! First, I spray painted it a fun color. Then, I had some leftover fabric from this project so I modpodged it to the horizontal foot rest parts. I also painted big gray polka dots down the legs. 

Next, I used a Tupperware lid (a very scientific form of measurement) to measure a fabric circle for the top of the stool. I Mod Podged that on the top and then used my handy dandy Cameo to dicut a big 'ol letter A. Finally I, you guessed it, modpoged that to the top. Isn't Mod Podge great?! :)


My next project is something that I have put off for a loooooong time. It is not technically something that I "made" but I did make it more organized! ;)

The dreaded bathroom drawer (dun dun duuuuuuuuun!)


I know. It is a hot mess. So embarrassing! But I have to show that so I can show this:


Quite the improvement huh? I can actually find things without rummaging around in the drawer for 5 minutes! After completing something like this I alway think, why in the world did I put this off for so long?!?   

Finally....

my last Spring Break project  is one that is special to me because it is something I used to do with my mom when I was little. Long before there was Pinterest (how did we know what to wear, cook, teach, etc?!? lol) my mom was a total "pinterest mom," cooking, sewing, crafting, and creating smilie face shaped lunches for us. I gotta say, my childhood was pretty awesome :) We used to take all of our old, warn down crayons and make "Rainbow Muffin Tin" crayons! Did anyone else used to do this when they were a kid? 

Now, thanks to Ikea and all of the different fun shaped silicone ice trays they have created, we are no longer limited to muffin shaped crayons! I created mine using this sweet little heart tray :) 


All you have to do is take those crayon rejects that all of your students refuse to use and peel the paper off of them. Kids really like to do this for some reason but it is great for fine motor (plus I have no interest in doing it) so let have at it!


Then, break them up into small pieces


and just toss them into whatever silicone container you are using! Preheat the oven to about 200 degrees F and let them melt in there for about 15 minutes. 


When they look all melty and marbley like this, take them out and let them cool. I tossed mine in the freezer to speed up the cooling process a little.


When they are all cool, pop 'em out and you have some rainbow scribblers! 

Now I just have to decide if I am going to pass these out to my kids now, or wait until we are talk about  reduce, reuse, and recycle and loving our Earth. Hmmm.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment