Thursday, April 10, 2014

Buggy about Spring!

Here in the Amazing Ants classroom, we have gone absolutely buggy - in more ways than one! Over the past few weeks, students have begun to notice lots of little critters popping up outside. We have seen June bugs (lots and LOTS of June bugs), rolly pollies, butterflies, and of course ants! Seeing all of these not so creepy crawlers roaming around outside has really peeked my students interest, so while talking about life cycles this month, I have put an special focus on investigating "bugs."

Here are some of the bug themed workstations my students are using this month:

Matching objects to the letter line by begining sound: 


Finding the 2 words that make up the compound word on the firefly:

Matching the spider web to the correct spider by counting syllables:
Spelling out the CVC words on the caterpillars:
and matching the 2 sides of the butterfly using alliteration to name a few :) 




And now for my favorite bug themed portion of the classroom: Dramatic Play! For the month of April I have turned dramatic play into an Entomologist Laboratory. The kids LOVE it! Here is a little tour of our lab:
I don't think the kids really get the "Don't Bug Me" sign, but it makes me smile every time I see it :)

On this side of the lab, students can read the "Color Bugs" book, try and guess where these patterns in nature are found, and take a closer look at some real bugs as well as a chrysalis from one of our old classroom butterflies that we released a couple of weeks ago.
  I filled the area with real pictures and diagrams of different bugs and insects for students to view:
 In this area, students are able to take a closer look at different insect parts using a microscope and slides as well as practice the life cycle of a butterfly in a variety of ways:


I hope you enjoyed the tour :) I hope to post a few more of our buggy ideas as we continue of unit of study throughout the month!  


8 comments:

  1. Wow! This setup is AMAZING! Thank you! Do you sell your copies anywhere? Where did you get the magnifying glasses that show the patterns in nature? Love everything! Way to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Those magnifying glasses are from Lakeshore and they came from a set called "Patterns in Nature." I just looked on their website though and I am not sure if they are still selling them :/ I do sell all those buggy workstations on my teachers pay teachers store here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Buggy-about-Literacy-Spring-Activities-1184122

    I am so happy to hear from a fellow pre-k teachers...off to check out your blog now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would really like to know where you got your pictures and resource cards for your dramatic play. We are just starting up our bug unit and love the idea of an entomologist lab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! Where did you get all of your slides and such? Love the diagrams of the insects too! Oh, and the bug full of bugs! haha where did it come from! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can say is Wow! Your students are so blessed to have such an inspired & passionate teacher. Love everything. Oh to have the money & space. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where are the microscope and bug slides from?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you still active on this blog? It is so good. I would really like your resources for the insect posters and the Life Cycle Game with slides.

    ReplyDelete